According to the National Cancer Institute, it is estimated that 40,250 new cases of oral cancer were detected and diagnosed throughout the United States in 2012. Furthermore, out of those 40,250 cases, they concluded that approximately 7,850 individuals died of oral cancer. Scary statistics, right?
At Jones Bridge Dental Care, we don’t want you to become a statistic. That is why we offer comprehensive oral cancer screenings in Alpharetta, Georgia. Drs. Eliezer, Malikov, Nasseh, Rahman, and Febo-Cuello want you and your family to have healthy teeth and gums for many years to come.
Who is at risk for oral cancer?
There are several risk factors when it comes to oral cancer, including:
- A family history of oral cancer
- Excessive sun exposure—This is especially a serious risk factor in those who are younger.
- Smoking cigarettes, cigars, or pipes—Those who smoke are about 6 times more likely to develop oral cancer compared to nonsmokers.
- Using smokeless tobacco—Those who use smokeless tobacco (dip, chewing tobacco, or snuff) are 50 times more likely to develop mouth cancers in the lining of the lips, cheeks, and gums.
- Excessive alcohol consumption—Oral cancer diagnoses are 6 times more common in heavy drinkers versus nondrinkers.
It is very important to note, however, that over 25% of oral cancer diagnoses occur in individuals who do not smoke or drink alcohol excessively. With that said, we always recommend being more safe than sorry and choose an oral cancer screening, especially when it comes to your oral health and overall health.
Protect your oral health with an oral cancer screening
If you would like to be screened for oral cancer, please call our office to schedule a consultation appointment. We’re thrilled to offer the latest oral cancer screening technology with VELscope. Our dentists and team are passionate and dedicated to giving you exceptional and compassionate dental care, including comprehensive oral cancer screenings and other preventive dentistry services.